What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? - James 4:1
We have discussed the causes of our conflict - why we find ourselves in these difficult places of suffering, and what God is hoping to accomplish in our suffering, but there is more to these 10 verses than just *why* we are in the suffering...there is a guide to the way out of our trials as well.
Consider this: In those dark moments of suffering, life has not ended. Could it be that you are making your suffering worse by the things that you're saying to yourself? Capture those thoughts and bring them obedient to Christ. Replace those thoughts with thoughts or actions that bring glory to God and He will bless your obedience.
Here are some practical things to do in your suffering:
1) Resist the lies of the enemy - when we are struggling with anxiety, fear, guilt, or anger, we are listening to the lies of the enemy. But James is telling us here if we resist the devil, he will flee.
2) Don't give way to fear - fear is about an assessment of aloneness. You are not alone. God is with you in this trial, and so is this community of believers. You just need to reach out.
3) Don't forsake your good Godly habits - when we are overwhelmed with grief in our suffering, we have a tendency to stop reading His Word, praying, going to church, meeting with Godly friends because we are so consumed with the emotions of the trial. This is the most important time to be in His Word, praying, and seeking support from your Christian community. When you are weak, you need to draw upon His strength.
4) Run to the body of Christ - seek the encouragement of others. God created us to be relational beings who were meant to live in community for this very reason. This broken world can be an incredibly hurtful place. We need one another.
5) Count your blessings - one of the best medicines for despair is to list all the things you are grateful for. Yes, it sounds like a prescription for a child, but you actually need to get out a pencil and start a list every time you feel overwhelmed. God tells us to call to mind the ways He has shown His love to us, and when we do, we will find His peace.
6) Eavesdrop on the eternal life - what are the people at the end of their lives saying?? They are celebrating redemption - get your values clarified by grabbing a hold of a broader perspective of your life.
7) Humble yourself - instead of exalting ourselves, maneuvering and positioning ourselves so that we look better before others, humble yourselves and watch the most amazing results come of it - He will exalt you.
Press on ~ you are loved 💗
Popular posts from this blog
I am a believer in Christ, and I have breast cancer. On August 17, 2017, I was diagnosed with an aggressive (HER2+), recurrent (hormone negative) type of Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. At this point, they have not yet staged my cancer because they are waiting for the biopsy results from a suspicious spot in the second breast. The biopsy is scheduled for September 5th, with a lumpectomy to follow on September 7th. They will formally stage my cancer after they biopsy my lymph nodes, which will be taken during the surgery. It doesn't make any sense to me that I have a cancer diagnosis - I am a fairly healthy woman who runs 2 miles almost every day and eats a gluten-free, primarily paleo diet, with no family history at all. But it makes sense to God, and so here I am. Update ~ They found 4 isolated invasions during the lumpectomy. Due to the nature of my cancer (HER2+ and ER-), the recommended protocol is chemotherapy and radiation. Beginning in October, my chemotherapy regime
When we launched our new blog we had no idea if anyone would see it or be helped by it, but we knew that the LORD was prompting us to step out in faith and just do it. The response has been amazing and we are looking forward to how God will use this space for His glory. We have learned over many years of service in a variety of ministries, that God does not require human assistance to realize His plans for individuals, churches, nations, or the human race. But the story of the bible is the story of God’s will playing out through the words and actions of the His children. So…we pray, meditate on his Word, and write from the heart about the truths that mold our faith, guide our actions, and inspire our hearts and minds. Please visit the site and subscribe to continue receiving posts. https://graceinmarriage.com/ It is our sincere hope that you are blessed by our work here and welcome your input on how we can make Grace in Marriage even better. Thank you for your support.
Hi friends - This is a bittersweet post. This journal entry will be my last post on this forum. God has been moving in my heart and the heart of my husband, and He has called us to join forces to write a blog together on marriage. I still plan to post daily devotions, but they will be focused on marriage and posted on our new platform. There will also be additional content - our testimonies and stories, as well as my husband’s thoughts on marriage. We don’t know where God plans you take us in this journey, but we are excited, humble servants and willing to go where He leads. I want to take a moment to thank all of you. I am deeply grateful for those of you who have taken this difficult journey with me. God has done some amazing things through this blog, and I will be forever grateful for the way He has used it to grow my heart closer to Him. I would love for each of you to continue to follow my husband and me at our new site: graceinmarriage.com Hope to se